Thursday, October 22, 2009

Daily Devotional - 10/22

Prayer Focus - Enemies


Day 1
Pray for:
One person who was mean to you when you were a child


Pray about:
Their physical needs
Their mental needs
Their emotional needs
Their spiritual needs
Your ability to offer complete forgiveness from your heart
Your ability to let go of the hurts and move on whether they will ever apologize or not


Dear Lord - Please open my ears to hear and grant me the strength to obey.



Psalms 52




"Why do you boast of evil, you mighty man? Why do you boast all day long, you who are a disgrace in the eyes of God." ( vs 1)

What a sobering thought. We can be a disgrace in the eyes of God. So often we view God as this kindly old grandfather like figure who never gets angry or upset about anything; an ineffectual deity who just started everything and lets it run its course. But God is nothing like that. He does get angry and He does have expectations. They are for our own good but that does not make them any less important. He expects to be obeyed and He hates evil and loves good. If we set our hearts on evil, we can become a disgrace in the eyes of God. That is a frightening and sobering thought.


"Surely God will bring you down to everlasting ruin: He will snatch you up and tear you from your tent; He will uproot you from the land of the living. The righteous will see and fear; they will laugh at him, saying, 'Here now is the man who did not make God his stronghold but trusted in his great wealth and grew strong by destroying others!' But I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God's unfailing love forever and ever. I will praise You forever for what You have done; in Your name I will hope, for Your name is good. I will praise You in the presence of Your saints." (vs. 5-9)



It is frightening to see and read about the vengeance of God. It makes me want to cling to God and to rid my heart of all anger and bitterness. The man who does not make God his strength will be destroyed. I do not want this to be me. I want to flourish in the house of the Lord. I am responsible for my own salvation. It is up to me alone.

I will not be like the evil man. I will trust in God's unfailing love. I will praise Him forever for what He has done. In God's name I can always hope. God's name is good, all the time. I will praise God in front of others as well. Despite circumstances, I can still praise God. I praise the Lord for what I do have.

Here are my praise and thank offerings. I praise the Lord for my husband's health. I bring thank offerings today for whatever the future holds in this matter. I thank God they removed the main tumors and the rest looked clear. I thank God that I have him now each day that I do have him. I thank God for His forgiveness and salvation in the days to come. I thank Him for each day with my children. I thank Him for a job. I thank Him also for food to eat and a roof over our heads. I thank God for our parents and for our education. I thank Him for living in this country, despite its faults, still the best country I have found. I praise God for our churches and our faith. I praise and thank Him for the beautiful scenery that surrounds us. I thank God for the clouds and the wind and for clear days that you want to go on forever. Finally, I thank God especially for sleep, that sweet time of rest that refreshes our bodies and which allows us to start over in the morning.

Thank You Lord,
Amen




Prayer for the Day



Dear Lord,

We thank and praise You for all of this and more. We could not write down everything there is to praise You about because there would not be books or time enough to do it. You alone are worthy of our praise and worship. We are so blessed. Cultivate in us a perpetual state of gratitude. Rid negativism from our hearts and keep us from complaining. You are good, always good. We know it. Help us in our unbelief and grant us strength to live each and every day as You would have us. We do not want to be a disgrace to You. We want You to be able to say, "Well done, good and faithful servant." We fall so short, but You are able.


In Jesus' Name,
Amen




QFT


1. Do I boast of evil? What type of conversations occupy my time? What do I think about most? Is it pleasing to God?


2. What is my view of God? Is it Biblical? Do I see God as a God who would bring someone down? How does that make me feel to see that God does get angry?


3. What can I praise God for? Can I write a list of 25, 50, 75, or 100 things that I am grateful for right now?


4. Am I taking charge of my own salvation and making sure that I am right with God? Do I know for sure that I am pleasing Him with my life? How can I find out? Who can I talk to about this?

No comments:

Post a Comment