Thursday, October 8, 2015

Daily Devotional - 10/8/15

Prayer Focus - Needs



Day 6
Pray for:
One thing that you need to be grateful for but find it difficult to be
One person that you need to apologize to, resolve a conflict with, or forgive
One dream that you need to surrender to God
One challenge that you need to face and deal with
One health issue that you need to deal with
One sin you need to overcome



Dear Lord - Please open my ears to hear Your voice today and grant me the strength to obey.



Psalms 98


"Sing to the Lord a new song, for He has done marvelous things; His right hand and His holy arm have worked salvation for Him. The Lord has made His salvation known and revealed His righteousness to the nations.  He has remembered His love and His faithfulness to the house of Israel; all the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God."  ( vs. 1 - 3  )


We are told again to sing a new song!  We are told to be different; to start over.  Why is this so important to God?  This first verse holds the key.  God has done marvelous things; He has brought salvation and not just salvation for the Jewish nation, but for the whole world.  The whole Bible is an amazing story written over a long period of time by various authors that tells the story of a loving God seeking to restore a lost relationship with His creation.  God has always been after us to give us the chance to start over; to sing a new song.  He had so many dreams and desires for a people that would love Him and He has patiently been pursuing the human race and each one of us ever since the fall.  He is not satisfied with anyone being lost.  He includes story after story of how He feels about each and every person that turns back to Him.  He rejoices over the returned souls.  What an amazing thought that I am that loved.  In another part of the Scriptures it states that even if our mothers and fathers could forget us, God would not be able to.  We are etched in His heart and soul.  We are His.  This is why we are to rejoice.  This is why we are to sing a new song; because God has made it possible.

Another wonderful thought I have about this verse is that it shows the universality of a faith in God.  It is not limited to one country or group of people.  It is for everyone.  Sometimes I think that those of us in America, think that Christianity has to look like American Christianity to be real, but this is so far from the truth.  The Scriptures do not tell us what our dress should look like or what our songs should be or how each step of our worship service should go.  It speaks to the heart.  It speaks of loving God and loving others.  If I am in another country, true Christianity will look like the people in that country with all their rich heritage loving God and others with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength.  What is important is our hearts.  So if I worship outside in a field or I worship in a grand cathedral, it is all the same.  I am worshipping God.  I hope that we can open up our eyes to the love of God for all people and all nations.  God wants all men to be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth. We should too.



Key verses:


I Timothy 2: 1 - 4

"I urge, then, first of all, that request, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone - for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.  This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth."


Jeremiah 29: 11-13

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.  Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.  I will be found by you.'" 


Luke 15:6 - 7

"Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.'  I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent."


Isaiah 49:14 - 16

"But Zion said, 'The Lord has forsaken me, the Lord has forgotten me.' 

'Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne?  Though she may forget, I will not forget you!  See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me.'"


Acts 17: 26 - 27

"From one man He made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and He determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live.  God did this so that men would seek Him and perhaps reach out for Him and find Him, thought He is not far from each one of us.


Galatians 3: 26 - 29

"You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.  There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.  If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise."




Prayer for the Day



Dear Lord,


You have done amazing miracles.  You have worked salvation for the whole world.  You have pursued us relentlessly.  We have never been loved as we are with You.  You love in a perfect manner and all that You bring into our lives is what we need to grow and change.  Help us to love as You love.  Help us to sing this new song and not be bound up with our traditions.  We can truly change the world if we love.  We thank You for giving us this task.

In Jesus' Name,
Amen



QFT


1.  What marvelous things have I seen God do in my life?  Am I grateful on a regular basis for these things?  Why or why not?  How can I increase my appreciation for what has God has done for me?

2. Have I experienced a fresh start with God?  What was this experience like and when did it take place?  What did I leave behind? 

3. How do I feel about people that do not share my faith?  Am I concerned about them being found by God?  Why do I feel this way?  Am I helping others to find God?  Why or why not?  What can I do to be more involved with helping others?

4. How do I feel about people that are different from me?  How do I feel about people that worship differently from me?  Am I prejudice in any way?  How is this unlike God?  What can I do to change?

5. Am I holding onto any religious traditions?  Do I think people have to worship exactly as I do to be right with God?  Why or why not?  What can I do to reach out to others that differ from me religiously and show them the love of God?

No comments:

Post a Comment