Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Daily Devotional - 10/7/15

Prayer Focus - Needs



Day 5
Pray for:
One thing that you need to be grateful for but find it difficult to be
One person that you need to apologize to, resolve a conflict with, or forgive
One dream that you need to surrender to God
One challenge that you need to face and deal with
One health issue that you need to deal with



Dear Lord - Please open my ears to hear Your voice today and grant me the strength to obey.



Psalms 97


"All who worship images are put to shame, those who boast in idols ...

Let those who love the Lord hate evil, for He guards the lives of His faithful ones and delivers them from the hand of the wicked.  Light is shed upon the righteous and joy on the upright in heart. 

Rejoice in the Lord, you who are righteous, and praise His holy name."  ( vs. 7a, 10 - 12  )


We have a tendency to rely on things other than God.  This can be equated to worshipping them.  I know in my life I am tempted to think money will take care of my troubles.  I sometimes think that if I had enough money, then my life would be better.  I would not have to work and drive so much.  I would have more time with my children and could be a better mother.  Many thoughts run through my head, especially when I have to pay bills.  Another thing that I often look to for comfort is relationships.  I think that if my relationships were closer, I would be happier.  If my husband and I were better friends then that would fix all my issues.  Or maybe if my children were more obedient, everything would be solved.  There are many others too, such as success, and self-development.  Career has taken up a lot of my time and focus before too.  When I look to all of these things to comfort or take care of me, I am in effect making them gods.  I am looking to them to provide what only God can provide.  In the end, they can do nothing, and I am sad and disillusioned again.  They cannot save, and even rich people are miserable at times.  We just need to look at the lives of the rich and famous to see that they are not satisfied.  I end up, as this scripture says, put to shame.

It doesn't have to be this way though.  I can make God my God and worship Him only.  I can do this by memorizing the promises in His word that He will take care of me and by putting His words into practice day in and day out.  I need to hate evil.  It is okay to hate sometimes, if it is for the right things.  I can not tolerate evil.  I can not defend evil.  I must hate it, for then I will be regarded as faithful, and God will protect me.  Light and joy will be shed on me and I will receive the promises that God has woven into His word for those that walk in His ways.  I need to hate evil, not because I am better than anyone else, but because I love God.  And just because I hate evil, it does not mean I hate people.  It is possible to hate sin and love the sinner; possible, not easy.  Too many people fail at this and so we have a bad reputation for hating others when we stand up for what is right.  Let us live correctly and have lives full of love and joy so that everyone will be drawn to God, and then as they learn that God loves them and as they learn to love God, the sinfulness will drop off like so many grave clothes.  God can do this.  Let us focus on love!




Prayer for the Day



Dear Lord,


You are the only true God.  Help us to let go of all of the false gods that clamor for our attention.  They will only bring us to shame while You will bring us life and life to the fullest.  You are so good to us and we rejoice in Your blessings.  Help us to hate evil.  Help us to hate sin and love sinners.  Help us to become what You want us to become, and help us rejoice in You always.

In Jesus' Name,
Amen



QFT


1.  What things become my gods?  What do I turn to for happiness and fulfillment other than God?  Why?  How does this affect me?

2. How do I see these things leading to shame in my life?  How can I change my priorities and put God in the place He deserves to be? 

3. Do I hate evil?  Do I ever defend evil?  Are there certain things I know the Scriptures say is sin that I accept or that I think are okay?  Why?

4. How do I feel about hating what God hates?  Why do I think God hates these things and calls certain things evil?  How do these things affect us?

5. Do I think God will guard and protect me if I am faithful to Him and His commands?  Why or why not?  When have I seen God guard and protect me?   How did that feel?  Do I feel like I am in the light and do I have joy or do I feel that I am in darkness and do I have more sadness than joy?  Can I relate this in anyway to my faithfulness?  Why or why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment