Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Daily Devotional - 8/29/10 (9/29/09)

Prayer Focus - 9's




Pray for:
Nine things you are grateful for
Nine people that are on your heart or that need prayers
Nine places that are important to you
Nine characteristics to grow in
Nine characteristics/habits to get rid of



Dear Lord - Open my ears to hear and my eyes to see and grant me the strength to obey.




Psalms 29




"Ascribe to the Lord, O mighty ones, ascribe to the Lord glory and strength. Ascribe to the Lord the glory due His name; Worship the Lord in the splendor of His holiness." (vs. 1-2)



God is glorious. God deserves my worship and praise. I am amazed at all of the grand things He has done. A few years ago, I read a book entitled, The Gold of Exodus, by Howard Blum. It tells the story of two Americans who went in search of the true Mount Sinai by following the trail of Moses. The archaeological finds that the two adventurers discover are astounding. If you like Biblical archeology, this is a good book to pick up, but if not, I am mentioning it because it made me stand in awe of God. There are pictures of chariot wheels found at the bottom of the Red Sea. Perhaps from Pharaoh’s army? These are found near a submerged land bridge at the point where Moses and the Israelites probably passed over. There are so many other strange finds in their story as well. This, to me, is so exciting. Again and again, stories and facts found in the Bible have been proved to be true over the years. Archeology has backed up many passages. It inspires me to see the power of God. He is able to do all that He has written in His word, and this is what the Bible is. It is the word of God and it is powerful.



"The voice of the Lord is powerful; the voice of the Lord is majestic." (vs. 4)



The Bible is the voice or "Word of God" as it is often called and is the only truly living and active document (Hebrews 4:12-13). Everything is laid bare before God and He knows us. He has set out how we work best in this guidance manual. The Bible is the only true “self-help” book, if I can even call it that, because it is really a “God-help-us” book. Anything that works outside of the Bible does so because it is based on a Biblical principle. I am totally convinced of this. I have seen it in my studies of psychology (the subject I majored in in college). I have seen it in the teaching and discipline principles taught in the teaching courses I took for my teaching credential. I have seen it everywhere.


I am not surprised though, because God spoke the world into existence (Genesis 1, Hebrews 11:3, Psalms 33:6 & 9). He knows where wisdom resides. Nothing is hidden from Him (Job 28: 12-28). There are no secrets from God. If something works, it is His, whether it is used appropriately or not. Often the world or Satan takes one of God's principles and twists it around or else takes God out of the picture. The principle still works because it is like a law that God has instituted, similar to the law of gravity. Apples still fall to the earth whether we believe in God or not. His principles work and are faithful, whether we are or not. So, we need to take a look at everything and take it back to God and His word. The Bible says to tests everything and then hold onto the good ( I Thess 5:19-21).



" The Lord gives strength to His people; the Lord blesses His people with peace." (vs. 11)



And in the end, if we cling to God’s word and obey it, there will be strength and peace. I know. I know this is true, because there were moments today when I was completely at peace. How good it felt. In the midst of the craziness of this past week, a moment of calm was welcoming. I knew that the calm and peace came only from God, as nothing circumstantially had changed. I was still exhausted to some degree. I was still loaded down with work that I had to do at the school where I teach. When I came home from work, the house was still messy and my husband was still ill. My children were still struggling to obey, but today, I was able to handle most of it better.


I think a turning point came this morning when I became very upset with my daughter over her not helping me get everything ready for us to go. As usual, I went on and on about it, to her disgust. Finally, I forced myself to stop talking and I just drove to work in silence. As I drove and tried to pray, my heart changed. I meditated on some of my favorite verses and I became resolved to work out this problem. We ended up having a good talk and both of us recommitted to doing better in our relationship. It was good for us to part ways at school reunited again. I know this came about because of God and His word. He says it never comes back empty.


His word can work wonders in our lives if we will learn it and put it into our hearts so that we can meditate on it. From my obedience to the verses I thought about, and my repentance or change in action, I was able to gain the strength and peace that God offers us. There is a catch, though. God offers these promises to His people, not just to anyone. While God loves everyone, not everyone is in a covenant relationship with Him. We must enter into a relationship with Him to reap the rewards.


A covenant, just like my relationship with my daughter, goes two ways. There are things that are expected of us and there are things that we can expect from God. He offers promises that are reserved for "His People." Let us strive to be His people and let us strive to respect and honor, by obedience, the voice of the Lord. It is all-powerful and God is even so much more. If His voice can shake the earth, then what can all of Him do? Whatever it is we need, praise God for He can do it!




Prayer for the Day
Dear Lord,

Help us to remember how glorious and powerful You are.  We get so lost day to day.  Your principles are so consistent.  You are so faithful.  We want to remember and honor You.  We want to obey Your word for in it are the words of life.  Help us to be Your people.  We long for Your peace and strength in our lives.  We know that You alone can truly fill us up.

In Jesus' Name,
Amen


QFT


1. Do I stand amazed at what God has done and created? Do I believe what is written in the Bible? Why or why not?

2. How is my study of God's word? Am I making time for it? Compared to the other reading I do, for work or pleasure, is my Bible study equal to this?

3. Am I putting into practice what I read in the Bible or is my study more of an academic pursuit? How can I put more into practice? What have I been thinking about changing lately due to my Bible study?

4. Am I experiencing God's strength and peace? Why or why not?

5. Would I consider myself one of "His people"?  Why or why not?  How can I be sure of this?  How does it make me feel to know that can belong to God?  Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment