Saturday, August 28, 2010

Daily Devotional - 8/24/10 (9/24/09)

Focus Letter - X



Pray for:
Five things that you are grateful for beginning with the focus letter
Five people whose first or last name begins with the focus letter
A place that begins with the focus letter
A characteristic to grow in that begins with the focus letter


Dear Lord - Open my eyes to see, my ears to hear, and my heart to feel. Grant me the strength to obey.




Psalms 24



"The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it;" (vs. 1)




Everything around me and everyone I see are God's. I must remember this. Frankly, if I can hang on to this thought, it will revolutionize my life. I am very careful when I am watching someone else's children. When I go to visit someone at their house, I am respectful of their belongings and I respect their wishes and the rules in their house. It is only right I figure because that is how I would like my children and my home/rules to be respected. But with my possessions, with my husband, with my children, I tend to do what I want because they are mine. Or are they?


When I look at this verse, I realize they are not. They are God's. They do not belong to me. They belong to God. And the earth around me, is it just there to be used and abused, with no one to hold me accountable? No, it is God's as well. How about all of those strangers that I pass along the way? Who do they belong to? No one? Are they not important because they have not entered into my sphere of influence? No, they are God's treasured possessions. They are important whether I know them or not.


Let us consider the parable of the sheep and the goats in Matthew 25: 31-46. The King, representing God, separates all of the people into two groups; the sheep on His right and the goats on His left. Those on the right He praises for taking care of Him in many different ways. They respond in confusion, "When did we ever do this for You?" He replies, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." Those on His left, the goats, He sends away because they did not take care of Him. They also respond before leaving and ask, "When did we not take care of You?" God's answer has always been convicting and challenging to me. "I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for Me."


As I take care of my husband, I need to consider this. Am I caring for Him as I would care for God? How about my children? Am I being as patient and compassionate as I would be to the Lord? How about the people on the streets. Am I being kind to those I meet on a casual basis as if they were Jesus Himself? Also, am I offering people what they need the most, an opportunity to know God? That is really the most loving thing I could do. This goes even beyond people though, as the psalmist suggests. Am I being responsible with the money God gave me? Am I keeping my possessions and home in good condition. I must remember it is the Lord's, not mine. How about my body? Am I really taking care of it like it was God's temple? Finally, am I respecting God in His house, the earth, by obeying His rules and following His directions?


This is so challenging but so worth considering. I want to be a sheep. I want to be on the right side of the throne of God. I want to be able to ascend the hill of the Lord as mentioned in verse three.



"Who may ascend the hill of the Lord?  Who may stand in His holy place?  He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to an idol or swear by what is false.  He will receive blessing from the Lord and vindication from God his Savior." (vs. 3-4)



The one who will ascend is the one with clean hands and a pure heart; that one who treats everyone and everything as it should be, as God's. This person will receive the blessings. We can be this person. We can do this if we get the idols out of our lives. I know when I am preoccupied by making money or my little projects, or worries, I neglect what is most important, for example, my children and husband.


I don't want to do this anymore. I don't want to waste the time that God has given me pursuing things that will not get me to heaven and will not fulfill me in the long term. I look back in sorrow at all the time I have already wasted. I must invest in what God wants me to invest in. I must seek God's face, and in doing so, I will be able to treat others right.


The Lord is strong and mighty. The Lord is mighty in battle. I will lift up my head and see God come in victory. I will honor Him by honoring others. I am climbing up the hill.




Prayer for the Day

Dear Lord,

Thank You for reminding us that all we have is not really ours.  Help us to see people and the world around us correctly, as Your cherished beings and creations.  Help us to take care of all that has been entrusted to us as we should.  We want to remember that all we do is done for You.  Grant us strength for the task of honoring You in this way.

In Jesus' Name,
Amen


QFT


1. Am I treating those closest to me like they were God? If not, how can I change?  How do I treat those I meet during my day?  Am I treating them as I would God or Jesus?  What do I need to change?

2. Am I taking care of my body like it was the temple of the Lord? If not, how can I change?

3. What areas of my life do I struggle the most with viewing as God's? Why?  How can I change my perspective about these things?

4. What idols (anything that gets put before God and following His ways) do I have in my life? How can I get rid of them?

5.  Am I treating the earth with respect as God's creation?  What can I do better?  Is there a cause or need I can get involved with to help protect or provide for God's creation?

No comments:

Post a Comment