Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Daily Devotional 9/9

Focus Letter - I



Pray for:
Five things you are grateful for beginning with the focus letter
Five people whose first or last name begins with the focus letter
A place that begins with the focus letter
A characteristic to grow in that begins with the focus letter


Dear Lord - Please let me hear You today and understand. Grant me the strength to obey



Psalms 9



I have begun to view things that are not right in my life, such as sins, character flaws, and weaknesses, as my enemies. In fact, anything that is hindering me from knowing God and serving Him to the best of my ability has now become my enemy. This has helped me to fight my issues better. If I view my character and all its faults, as "just the way I am", then nothing will ever change in my life. Proverbs 26:11 states it well, "As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly."

I am forever repeating that which I do not hate. If, however, I make these things my enemy, I will be ready to do battle. This is what God desires for me to do as well. He wants me to flee from evil, not coddle it (II Tim 2:22 & Proverbs 3: 7-8). He wants me to resist the devil, not accept him (James 4:7). God has called me to fight. I am to be a soldier in His army. When I am fighting His way, in His battles, my enemies will turn back. They will stumble and perish. They will do so because God will be fighting for me. I just need to show up.


I will be able to win because nothing can stand before God. He says nations are as nothing to Him and His plans never fail. I just need to align my plans with His and be willing to do battle against my enemies when He says to. I cannot fail to go up to fight like the Israelites did when God told them to outside of the Promised Land (Deut. 1: 19-46 ). He said, "Go" and they said, "No! It is too hard." Later when they found out that they would not be able to go to the promised land because of their disobedience, they said they would go. Moses told them not to go because God would not be with them but they went anyway and were defeated. How many times have I been like this - refusing to obey something that I know God has told me to do? Then later, when I am reaping the consequences, I try to go up and do it, only to fail. I must listen to God when He speaks. I must be willing to fight, and fight in God's way.


If I do things God's way, the results will be astounding. God will aid me in my battle with myself. He can even wipe out the memory of my character issues. This reminds me of Hebrews 11:32 - 34, the inspiring chapter on faith. Many great men of God are mentioned in this chapter along with their successes. At the end of the section, the Bible states that these men's weaknesses were turned into strengths. Our weaknesses, our enemies, can be turned into our strengths. I can become solid and responsible with my finances. I can become an organized person. I can completely declutter my house and life. I can look my best as a woman. I can be a consistent person in my parenting and in my teaching. My weaknesses can be my strengths! How exciting that will be.


I can not wait for this to happen. God can do it. God is so faithful and I know He would like these issues to change in me as well. I will remember that He has never forsaken His chosen ones. I can run to Him and take refuge in Him. I can take hold of Him in the battle, day in and day out. He truly is my stronghold. He truly is our stronghold and He will do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment