Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Daily Devotional - 9/29/15

Prayer Focus - Wants



Day 4
Pray for:
One thing you want to understand about God
One characteristic you want to develop that will help you to be more loving towards others
One dream you have for your life
One issue in your character that you would like to see changed


Dear Lord - Please open my ears to hear Your ever present voice and grant me the strength to obey.



Psalms 89


"Righteousness and justice are the foundation of Your throne; love and faithfulness go before You.  Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim You, who walk in the light of Your presence, O Lord.  They rejoice in Your name all day long; they exult in Your righteousness. For You are their glory and strength, and by Your favor You exalt our horn.  Indeed, our shield belongs to the Lord, our king to the Holy One of Israel."  ( vs. 14 - 18 )


Righteousness and justice form the foundation of the throne of God.  He is righteous and just.  How good it is to know that there is a standard that never changes.  Although we do not necessarily like everything about it, it is steadfast and I think that we long for that type of consistency.  We hate it when things are not fair.  It is good to know that God is fair, and that justice will win out one day.  It is also good to know that God does not forget our hard work and all of the good things that we have done.  ("God is not unjust; He will not forget your work and the love you have shown Him as you have helped His people and continue to help them." Hebrews 6:10)  Someday we will reap what we have sown. ("Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked.  A man reaps what he sows.  The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.  Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6: 7-9)

What is even better than God being righteous and justice, however, is that God is loving and faithful.  He is so much so, that it goes before Him.  These qualities trumpet His coming.  When I think about the world, I still see God; even with all the evil that is here.  Sometimes people will say, "How can there be a God when there is bad things happening?"  I think, "If there is no God, that is all that would be happening!"  God is in all the kindness and beauty that is still here on Earth.  When I see a beautiful sunset, I see God.  When I look at my children playing and laughing, I see God.  When I receive a kindness or am able to give to someone, I feel God's presence.  God is good, always good.

We will be blessed if we can believe and hold onto this; when we can acclaim God.  We will receive what we have faith in.  God does not change, but we can be blinded to Him.  Sometimes my students do not like me.  They think I am mean and hard.  They have not been able to see who I really am, because they do not cooperate with the rules of the class, or they perceive my pushing them to be excellent and to achieve as meanness.  No matter how kind and loving I may be, they will never see it.  They are blinded by their own perceptions and rebelliousness.  I have not changed.  This is how it is with God.  If we are rebellious and resentful about being transformed, we will see God as a harsh taskmaster.  If we follow God's laws and make Him our strength, and if we are willing to be changed, God will be our most treasured glory and strength.  The choice is ours.


Prayer for the Day



Dear Lord,


You are good.  You do bless us.  Help us to see You; to see the real You and for us to not be deceived by our rebelliousness.  You are righteous and just.  You are loving and faithful.  We are grateful that You are not like us. You are so praiseworthy.  Thank You for our lives and for Your promises.  Help us to live up to Your desires for us.

In Jesus' Name,
Amen



QFT


1. How do I see God as righteous?  Am I righteous?  What does this mean to me?  How can I be righteous in my day to day living?

2. Do I value justice?  How do I see God as just?  Am I just?  What does this mean to me?  How can I learn to be more just and to value justice more?

3. How do I see God as loving? What does that mean to me?  Am I loving?  What evidence is there to support my answer?  How can I be more loving?

4. How do I see God as faithful?  What does that mean to me?  Am I faithful to God?  Am I faithful to others?  Why or why not?  How can I become more faithful to God and to others?

5. How do I acclaim God?  What is my view of Him?  Do I have a true perspective or am I tainted by bitterness or bad experiences?  How can I work through any issues I have so that I can be able to see God as He truly is?  How will this change my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment