Monday, September 28, 2015

Daily Devotional - 9/28/15

Prayer Focus - Wants



Day 3
Pray for:
One thing you want to understand about God
One characteristic you want to develop that will help you to be more loving towards others
One dream you have for your life


Dear Lord - Please open my ears to Your ever present voice and grant me the strength to obey.



Psalms 88


"O Lord, the God who saves me, day and night I cry out before You.  May my prayer come before You; turn Your ear to my cry. 

 For my soul is full of trouble and my life draws near the grave...

 I call to You, O Lord, every day; I spread out my hands to You.

But I cry to You for help, O Lord; in the morning my prayer comes before You."  ( vs. 1- 3, 9b, 13 )


This psalm is a psalm of sadness.  Most psalms, if they deal with sadness, end with triumph and the praising of God, but this one is different.  There is no redemption mentioned and the final line states, "the darkness is my closest friend. (vs. 18b)"  The author is very dramatic presenting how he feels at the moment and is very descriptive.  I believe God included this psalm for many reasons.  First, I think that God is pointing out the depression is real and that it can be really expressed to Him.  We do not need to hide away our negative feelings from God.  He knows them already.  He is not shocked.  Secondly, I think that God wants us to not surrender to our feelings.  He wants us to begin to look honestly at them and sort out fact from exaggeration.  God has so much more for us.  He does not what us languishing away.  He came to give us life and life to the fullest. (John 10:10) 

I think, the key to overcoming is to pray.  I was struck by the writer's intense turning to God.  He prayed, and prayed incessantly.  He poured out his troubles.  He prayed consistently and also it seems, constantly.  He reasoned with God and was not afraid to pour out his heart.  This is how we will conquer depression and negative emotions.  We can not just hope it will go away.  We have to be proactive and start praying and then start doing what we know we should.  As we give to others, we shall begin to receive as well.  It is a blessed miracle that we can be transformed.


Prayer for the Day



Dear Lord,


We all go through difficult times now and then.  Sometimes when we look around us and see problems we feel defeated.  Sometimes it seems that we do not have any friends.  But You are always there and You are working for us to bring us to You.  Help us to draw near to You and pray through all of our feelings.  You already know them anyway.  We love and appreciate You.

In Jesus' Name,
Amen



QFT


1. Do I suffer from depression?  How do I deal with this?  If not, what do I think about those who suffer from depression?  Why?

2. Are my feelings always correct?  How have my feelings betrayed me before?  What can I do to help deal with my feelings?  Do I believe God can save me from my feelings and emotions?  Why or why not?

3. How is my prayer life?  Do I pray about my emotions?  Am I praying about any sadness and depression in my life?  How can I improve this aspect of my prayer life?

4. Do I exaggerate my problems?  Do I have trouble looking at the issues in my life honestly?  Do I make blanket statements about what is happening with me?

5. Am I getting involved with others on a regular basis?  Am I meeting the needs of those around me?  Do I make a difference in anyone's life?  How can I start giving to others?

No comments:

Post a Comment