Sunday, September 27, 2015

Daily Devotional - 9/27/15 (1/27/10)

Prayer Focus - Wants



Day 2
Pray for:
One thing you want to understand about God
One characteristic you want to develop that will help you to be more loving towards others



Dear Lord - Please open my ears to Your ever present voice and grant me the strength to obey.



Psalms 87


"The Lord loves the gates of Zion more than all the dwellings of Jacob.  Glorious things are said of you, O city of God.  "I will record Rahab and Babylon among those who acknowledge me - Philistia too, and Tyre, along with Cush - and will say, 'This one was born in Zion.'"

Indeed, of Zion it will be said, "This one and that one were born in her, and the Most High himself will establish her."  The Lord will write in the register of the peoples: This one was born in Zion." ( vs. 2 - 6 )


In the Old Testament, Zion referred primarily to Jerusalem but was also used to refer to the Temple, and the Jewish nation; the people of God.  In the New Testament, Zion usually refers to the spiritual kingdom of God, which could also seen as the church if one does a more thorough study.  In Psalm 87, we see how much God cares about His people, whether His original people or those of us that have been grafted in.  God loves us.  God is desirous for all of us to belong to His kingdom, Zion.  He also desires for His kingdom to be glorious and He is committed to establishing and maintaining it.

Imagine, we can be a part of this.  We can have our names written in the register of the people and we can have our place of birth be recorded as Zion.  This is ultimately the desired end result, isn't it?  To have God acknowledge us as His own on that day when we will face Him.  For Him to say to everyone, "Yes, this one was born in Zion.  This child is mine!". Our national heritage often inspires us.  I know when I was just out of college, I contemplated becoming an Australian citizen so that I could further my water polo career there.  Even though at that time, I did not think that I cared that much about being an American, when I faced with the idea of having to renounce my citizenship to the United States, I couldn't.  It was then that I realized what my country did mean to me.  I thought of all my memories of growing up and of all the benefits that I had received, and I realized I loved my country, even with all of its faults.  How much more so should we feel about our spiritual heritage and our spiritual country. 

If we have been born again, we are citizens of Zion.  We have a new kingdom.  It is challenging to say to ourselves, "I have been born in Zion".   Do we realize what an amazing thing this is?  We have a fresh start and a new allegiance.  We have all the rights and privileges of citizens of the kingdom of God.  But do we live accordingly?  I think too often, we take for granted what we have, just as I had taken for granted what I had as an American citizen. We need to make a conscious effort to be grateful and to give back.  As John F. Kennedy said in his inaugural address in 1961:

"In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been granted the role of defending freedom in its hour of maximum danger. I do not shank from this responsibility - I welcome it. I do not believe that any of us would exchange places with any other people or any other generation. The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavour will light our country and all who serve it -- and the glow from that fire can truly light the world.

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country.

My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.

Finally, whether you are citizens of America or citizens of the world, ask of us the same high standards of strength and sacrifice which we ask of you. With a good conscience our only sure reward, with history the final judge of our deeds, let us go forth to lead the land we love, asking His blessing and His help, but knowing that here on earth God's work must truly be our own."


Kennedy was calling Americans and the whole world higher.  Many responded to his plea.  As followers of God and citizens of His country, we should take our duty even more to heart because, besides being citizens of God's kingdom, we have also been called to become His ambassadors. We are representing Him.  "We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making His appeal through us.  We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God." (II Corinthians 5:20)  I have been given a job to do in my life.  I need to represent God.  I need to live in a way that will glorify Him.  I can not just do whatever I want anymore.  People are watching.  People will always watch. 

I remember one of the most convicting moments of my high school days.  I was supposed to be a Christian.  I had been telling my friends about God in my junior year of school, but then in my senior year, I started partying and put aside my faith.  One night at a party, I had been drinking and was not behaving in a very Christian manner.  One of my friends stopped me in my tracks when they said, "Hey, I thought you were supposed to be a Christian."  I didn't know what to say at that point, because they were right.  I was supposed to be something but I wasn't living like it.  I realized I was as big a hypocrite as the people I was upset with in my church and in my life.  I kept partying that night, but that moment in time kept echoing in my head and eventually, I did become a true Christian.  But that memory was never forgotten.  I can still hear my friend asking me that question, even all these years later and that is okay because it is a good question.  I am supposed to be a Christian.  So, what does my life say?  I hope it says I am.  I hope it says that this is what is most important to me.  I hope now, I do have integrity.

Looking back, sometimes it is hard for me to believe that I was given a second chance.  I know I didn't deserve it.  But God gives us all second, and third, and fourth chances.  In fact, He is calling us until the day we die.  I love the part of this psalm that says, "I will record Rahab and Babylon among those who acknowledge me - Philistia too, and Tyre, along with Cush - and will say, 'This one was born in Zion.'" (vs. 4)  These countries were not friends of God.  They were the enemies of the Jews; the ones that enslaved and persecuted them.  But it appears that they are given a second chance.  They too had the opportunity to become children of Zion.  This speaks to me of the extreme love of God, that all of us, no matter how far we have fallen or where we have been, can start over.  We can be born again and receive a new country, a new life.

What an exciting thought and what a responsibility as well! Let us rise to the occasion so we can retain our citizenship in Zion and enjoy all of its blessings.



Prayer for the Day



Dear Lord,


What a wonderful thought that we have been born in Zion. Help us to remember that we belong to such an awesome kingdom. We are a people now. We have a great heritage. Let us live so that others may see and worship You. Let us be worthy ambassadors for our spiritual homeland. Let us make You proud.

In Jesus' Name,
Amen



QFT


1. Have I been born in Zion? Is my name written in the register? How do I know? Are there any questions that I need to resolve about my conversion or any doubts in my mind? How can I clear these up so that I have full confidence in my citizenship?

2. Am I inspired by my spiritual heritage and belonging? Do I think about what an honor this is? How will dwelling on my citizenship in Zion help me to live better in the here and now?

3. Am I being a good ambassador for my spiritual country? What impression will others have of God and the kingdom because of me? Are there things I need to change to serve God better in my role as ambassador?

4. What blessings have I received due to my spiritual birth? What privileges do I enjoy because of this? Am I grateful or do I take advantage of my position in Christ?

5. What is my attitude about God's kingdom and the church.  Am I serving my spiritual country or am I looking for what I can receive from it?  What can I do to make my spiritual country, and my physical country a better place?

No comments:

Post a Comment