Saturday, August 29, 2015

Daily Devotional - 8/29/15 (10/29/09)

Prayer Focus - Strangers

Day 1
Pray for:
One person you admire or look up to


Pray about:
Their physical needs
Their mental needs
Their emotional needs
Their spiritual needs


Dear Lord - Please open my ears to hear and grant me the strength to obey.



Psalms 59


"Deliver me from my enemies, O God; protect me from those who rise up against me.  Deliver me from evildoers and save me from bloodthirsty men.

See how they lie in wait for me!  Fierce men conspire against me for no offense or sin of mine, O Lord.  I have done no wrong, yet they are ready to attack me.  Arise to help me; look on my plight ...

They return at evening, snarling like dogs, and prowl about the city.  See what they spew from their mouths - they spew out swords from their lips, and they say, "Who can hear us?"  But You, O Lord, laugh at them; You scoff at all those nations. 

O my Strength, I watch for You; You, O God, are my fortress, my loving God. 

God will go before me and will let me gloat over those who slander me...

But I will sing of Your strength, in the morning I will sing of Your love; for You are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.

O my Strength, I sing praise to You; You, O God, are my fortress, my loving God." ( vs. 1- 4, 6 - 10, 16 - 17)


Problems and evil people bother us.  They overwhelm us and fill us with dread.  We worry.  I know I do.  Sometimes I can be so worried about all the bad things that could happen that I feel paralyzed.  But God is different.  God is not worried by evil people.  He laughs at them and scoffs at them because He knows their days are numbered.  God is also not overwhelmed by our problems and difficulties.  He knows the big picture, and so therefore, all I need to know is God.  I need to get my eyes off of my problems and get them on God.  I need to watch for Him and for His deliverance.

I am reminded of Peter walking on the water when I think about focusing on God (Matthew 14: 23 - 33).  As the story goes, Jesus sent his disciples out ahead of Him on their boat. A wind came up during the night, and so the sea was rough.  It was at this point, that Jesus came out to them, walking on the water.  At first they were afraid, but when Peter realized it was Jesus, he said, "Lord, if it's you...tell me to come to you on the water."  Jesus told him to come and Peter did indeed walk on the water.  As long as he was looking at Jesus, he was able to do the impossible.  It was only when he took his eyes off Jesus and began to look at the wind and the waves, that he became afraid and began to sink.  He cried out to Jesus to save him and so Jesus took ahold of him and helped him into the boat.

We are like Peter.  We can walk on water, or we can sink.  It all depends on our focus.  When we focus on our problems, or on the evil in the world, we will sink.  When we look up, and watch for God, we will overcome.  We do not need to worry.  We are called not to worry.  As verse 9b states, God is going before us.  He is the trailblazer, carving out a path for us.  We just need to follow Him.


We are to watch and then we are follow.  We are to pray and then we are to watch for answers.  I will watch for God's provisions and for His ways of escape from the troubles that seem to outnumber me.  For God is my fortress.  I can run to Him when I am troubled or under attack.  He is my loving God.  I am special to Him in spite of all the trouble that overwhelms me.  The troubles that I have do not mean that God does not love me.  Nothing of the sort.  The trouble and hardship I face are just a part of life.  They are a part of what I need to grow.  They refine me for eternity.  I am to view hardship as discipline and training (Hebrews 12: 4 - 13), and in fact, evidence of my Father's love.

God is going before me and I will not falter.  I will not falter if I let Him clear the way and if I stay in the path He has for me.  God is strong and He will do it.  I will praise Him yet.



Prayer for the Day


Dear Lord,


We are grateful that You go before us to clear the way.  Help us to walk in the path that You have prepared.  You are good.  We are grateful that nothing can hinder Your plan and that evil people are nothing but something to laugh and scoff at.  We get so worked up and worried over evil men but we need to leave them up to You.  Help us to let go of this.  You are our fortress.  Help us to run to You when we are tempted to worry or be discouraged.  You will keep us safe.  You love us.  We are so grateful for Your love.

In Jesus' Name,
Amen


QFT


1. Do I realize that evil people are best left up to God?  What do my actions show of what I believe?  Do I pray for these people?  Do I care about their eternal destiny?

2.  Am I focusing on God and His power, or am I focusing on my problems and evil men?  What am I worrying about right now?  What are the issues in my life that will make me sink?  How can I give them to God so I can walk on water?

3. Am I watching for God?  Am I asking God for anything?  Am I praying and waiting in eager expectation?  How can I improve this aspect of my relationship with God?

4. Do I believe God is going before me and clearing a path for me?  How do I know what the path He is preparing for me is?  How can I ensure I am following it?

5. What is God using in my life right now to train me?  Do I see my hardships as discipline and training from a God who loves me?  How have I seen good come out of my struggles?

No comments:

Post a Comment