Sunday, September 19, 2010

Daily Devotional - 9/17/10 (10/17/09)

Prayer Focus - Friends


Day 3


Pray for:
One friend that you feel close to
One friend that has become distant and you would like to be closer to
One friend from long ago


Pray about:
Their physical needs
Their mental needs
Their emotional needs
Their spiritual needs


Dear Lord - Help me to listen to You each and every day and please grant me the strength to obey.





Psalms 47



"He chose our inheritance for us, the pride of Jacob, whom He loved." (vs. 4)

"For God is the King of all the earth; sing to Him a psalm of praise.  God reigns over the nations; God is seated on His holy throne.  The nobles of the nations assemble as the people of the God of Abraham, for the kings of the earth belong to God; He is greatly exalted. " (vs. 7-9)



God is in control. I will say it again to myself. God is in control. He has my inheritance chosen for me if I will embrace it.  When life seems difficult, I need to remember this and remember that He does not give us more than we can handle.  Every difficult situation has a silver lining somewhere, if only we look long enough and wait long enough.  I am reminded of Hebrews 12: 1-3. 


"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders us and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.  Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."


The witnesses we are surrounded by are all the great men and women of faith mentioned in the chapter before, Hebrews 11, the great faith chapter which talks of men's weaknesses becoming their strengths.  They are looking down and cheering us on, as is Jesus, who ran this race first for us to show us how to do it.   Because of this, we have to throw off all the things that trip us up and entangle us.  For me it is frustration over a never ending "to do list".  It is frustration at myself for not being a good enough mother.  It is not accomplishing enough, not being enough, not controlling my anger or frustration.  It is depression.  It is so many things, but I need to just let them go.  I am not a very good runner, so when I run, I can't think about much of anything except putting one foot in front of the other.  I can't talk with anyone or think about anything.  I can't even get distracted by the scenery.  I just have to run.  In a way, this is a good analogy for me to remember.  In my spiritual life, I just need to run and concentrate on one spiritual foot after another.  I must narrow my focus down and get rid of all these distractions just like I have to do when I am physically running.  Then I will be able to run with perseverance this race marked out for me.

The other thought I always have about these verses is that my race is marked out for me.  I don't have to trail blaze.  I just have to follow the course.  God does have a good inheritance for me and a race that is my own for me to run.  I need to stop looking at the race others are running and wanting theirs.  I must learn to be satisfied with the one I was given.  It is just right for me even if it may be difficult.  Then finally, I have to focus on joy.  I have to think of the joy that will come from me being faithful.  I have to visualize the success that might be mine someday.  I have no guarantees, but I can dream of those I love becoming disciples.  I can dream about really transforming my community, and even the world.  I can dream about a life of impact, and I can let that inspire me on a day to day basis.  Without dreams, we all die inside.  God has dreams for me and I need to praise Him for it. When I praise, I am happy. When I focus on joy, I am happy.  It is no good for me to sit around moping. Moping and worrying never solved any of my problems.  I need to praise first and then God will be able to move in my life.  God has everything in His hands, even the kings, so what am I worried about?  He is able to handle my race for me.  He is able to handle everything.




Prayer for the Day




Dear Lord,


Today as we go about our business and travel to and fro on this earth, remind us of Your sovereignty. Help us to see the sunrise and remember Your glory. Help us to see the birds flying in the air and look at the mountains so majestic and remember that the mountains are small in comparison to the rest of the earth and they are minuscule in comparison to the whole universe. Help us to remember that despite this smallness of the large mountains, not one little bird that flies over them falls to the ground without You knowing. How amazing is that. We are so grateful that You pay attention to us at all.

I praise You for Your victories and I praise You for taking hold of us and giving us life. Thank You for the purpose that You have given us and thank You for walking with us all of the way. We glorify You this day and everyday You give us.


In Jesus' Name,
Amen




QFT



1. Do I view God as King of the Earth? Do I take time to enjoy nature and His grandeur that is evident in it?  How will this help me when I am dealing with my life and its difficulties?

2. Am I known for my positive and joyful attitude or am I a negative and complaining person? How can I become more positive and joyful?

3. What I need to throw off?  What hinders me and what entangles me?  Why?  Who can I get to help me deal with these things?
4. Am I satisfied with the race set out for me and the inheritance God has chosen for me?  Why or why not?  What can I do to cultivate a better attitude about my life?

5. What can I visualize as happening in the future due to my continued faithfulness?  How can this help me not to grow weary?  What can I do to help me focus on these goals and dreams on a day to day basis?

No comments:

Post a Comment